Teen to be sentenced for attacking and threatening to murder mother
A TROUBLED teenage boy is to be sentenced next week for attacking his mother as well as threatening to murder her and watch her die in a text message sent after he was put into care.
The boy (17) admitted today that he assaulted his mother at a beach in Dublin on August 1 last. He had initially denied the allegation but entered the guilty plea this afternoon at the Dublin Children's Court.
His mother had come to the courthouse to give evidence. But on hearing that the teenager has decided to enter a guilty plea, Judge Aeneas McCarthy adjourned sentencing the boy until next week when the facts of the case will be given and a probation report is already scheduled to be before the court in connection with another offence.
In May, the youth, who is on bail, had admitted threatening to kill or cause serious harm to his mother on a date last September.
The court has heard that the boy had been placed into care in 2011 and spent weeks living in hostels before permanent accommodation was found for him.
The juvenile court heard that in the message to his mother the boy had said: “Right you delete my number and my Da, if I ever hear from any of you contacting my staff or social worker or any of my mates I will personally walk up to your house and stab both of you and watch you die right in front of my eye”
“I mean it, this is not a threat, it is a promise I'm starting a new life and I don't want any of you in it because you all f**ked me over some way down the road.”
About a month later he was caught trespassing at his mother's home which he has also admitted. The teenager, who has no previous criminal convictions, has also pleaded guilty to threatening to kill or cause serious harm to a female youth care worker. He had corned her and threatened that “he would slice her throat” during a confrontation.
Despite these allegations the boy continued to live at the children's home until being recently given alternative accommodation in another care facility.
Defence solicitor Gareth Noble had said that the teenager had lived with his mother for most of his life but there had been a number of problems and social services had become involved.
The boy's mother could not “contain him safely in the family unit” because of certain “risk-taking behaviours” he had engaged in, the lawyer has said.
The teenager was taken into care and at first stayed in “out-of-hours” hostels for ten weeks before being sent to a high support care centre. At first it had been thought he may have to be sent into a special care facility but he began to respond to therapeutic interventions.
Afterwards he was moved to another residential care home, the lawyer had said adding that it was against this backdrop of events that the offences took place.
However, Mr Noble had also said that the boy is trying to rebuild his relationship with his mother.
The probation report and could involve a psychological assessment and the teen had been warned by a judge earlier that if he did not co-operate, the court will be left with “very little options”.
The boy, who was accompanied to his hearing by a care worker, had said “I did a lot of stupid things when I was young, I'm trying to keep my head straight”.
He will face sentencing for all his offences next week.
Independent.ie Comments Facility
INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.
We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie