News Courts

Wednesday 17 September 2014

Teen to admit guilt in meat-cleaver attack, court told

Tom Tuite

Published 31/07/2014 | 02:30

  • Share
The Four Courts in Dublin.
The Four Courts in Dublin.

A 15-year-old boy accused of holding a meat cleaver to a taxi-driver's throat during a car-jacking in Dublin plans to plead guilty, his lawyer told a court.

  • Share
  • Go To

Gardai arrested the boy, who cannot be named because he is a minor, after a 36-year-old taxi driver was allegedly left traumatised when he was robbed at knife-point and his BMW car was seized in Terenure, Dublin, in the early hours of May 18.

It was driven across the city until it collided with another taxi in Cabra, the Dublin Children's Court has heard.

The teenager, who is in care, was originally charged with three offences in connection with the hi-jacking: robbery of an i-Phone 4, worth €400, its charger and €25 in coins; producing a meat cleaver type knife, and theft of the taxi.

Last month three additional hit-and-run charges were put to the teenager in connection with the incident. These relate to damage caused to another car and failing to stop afterwards.

The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) had recommended his case should go to the Circuit Court, which has tougher sentencing powers.

Yesterday, Judge John O'Connor agreed with the DPP and refused jurisdiction to deal with the case in the Children's Court despite pleas for the case to be retained there.

Judge O'Connor held that the case should go to the higher court and adjourned the case for three weeks. Defence solicitor Matthew Kenny said the teenager was planning to be sent forward to the Circuit Court, on a "signed plea of guilty".

Irish Independent

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News