SENTENCING has been adjourned in the case of a teenager who burned a girl with a cigarette lighter before she was allegedly forced to perform oral sex on another youth.
The schoolboy, now aged 17, has pleaded guilty at the Children's Court to assault causing harm to the girl at a disused house in a north Dublin suburb in mid-2009. He was aged 13 at the time of the attack.
Judge John O'Connor today adjourned the case until Friday when it will be listed before Judge Bryan Smyth who had heard the evidence at a previous stage.
The boy, who was accompanied to his case by family members, was remanded on continuing bail.
At an earlier stage a victim impact statement was furnished to Judge Smyth who had said it “did not make very happy reading”. He had also noted that it referred to “open hostility” from the boy, his family and friends, after the assault.
The defence had said previously that the teenager had career prospects which could be affected by a criminal conviction.
The teen had worked with a probation officer and had written a letter of apology for the girl but this was not passed on because she did not want any contact from him.
The teenager was remorseful, has no prior criminal convictions and a probation report stated that he was at a “low risk” of re-offending. He was also willing to do restorative voluntary work.
Earlier, Det Garda Donal O'Connell had told the juvenile court that the girl went to a disused house with the boy and “another suspect”. The boy burned the girl by “holding a lit cigarette lighter or a lighter that had been lit and was still hot to her abdomen”. Det Gda O'Connell said that was the extent of the boy's involvement in the assault and the girl was not left with permanent disfigurement or scarring.
After she was burned, she was allegedly pressured into performing oral sex on another youth.
A second youth charged in connection with the incident was spared a criminal conviction last year.