A TEENAGE mugger who targeted schoolchildren in Blackrock for their dinner money so he could buy drugs has been given a six-month suspended sentence.
The 17-year-old boy had pleaded guilty to robbery charges at the Dublin Children's Court.
The teenager, who lives in Dublin with his father, had previously been ordered to co-operate with a probation officer. Mental health counselling had also been sought for the youth to assist him in his future.
The teenager had not continued to re-offend and a positive pre-sentence probation report on him was furnished to the court today. Judge Ann Ryan suspended the sentenced on condition the youth does not re-offend within the next year.
Garda Brian McCabe had told the court earlier that on September 27, 2010, a schoolboy had been making his way through Blackrock Park, south Co Dublin, when the accused allegedly asked him for his money saying: “I need to buy weed.”
The boy told the youth he needed his money to buy dinner.
The teen was then joined by four other youths and told the boy “give it now or this lad will knock you out”.
The boy's wallet containing €9 was then taken.
The court heard that on the same date the youth and his accomplices approached three other children from Blackrock College. One was asked to hand over his mobile phone and the other victims were “ordered to empty their pockets”.
A threat was made to one boy “that his jaw would be broken”, the court had heard at an earlier stage.