Friday 2 December 2016

Teen boy (16) admits being ringleader of two break-outs from Dublin detention centre

Tom Tuite

Published 17/12/2015 | 08:30

Oberstown Detention Centre
Oberstown Detention Centre

A 16-YEAR-OLD boy has admitted being the ring-leader of two break-outs from a Dublin detention centre which led to massive searches, security reviews and a community put in fear.

  • Go To

The boy, who cannot be named, is one of four youths who absconded from Oberstown in Lusk, Co Dublin in July. He and another teenager also broke out from the 48-bed facility in May.

The escapes led to massive search operations, staff suspensions and a security review.

The boy, who has 38 prior criminal convictions, pleaded guilty at the Dublin Children’s Court to charges of absconding from custody and had sentencing adjourned until January.

In a “cheeky” point raised by his lawyer, the court was asked to note the boy drew attention to the centre’s security problems.

Garda Sergeant Tony Tighe told Judge John O’Connor the  boy, who is from Dublin, instigated the two escapes. 

The first was on the afternoon of May 19 after the boy and another detainee had been playing tennis.

He broke away from a staff member and ran to a wheelie bin which was six feet wide and about four and a half feet high.

He pushed it to a fence and climbed on top and at that point he was joined by the second youth.

Fence

“They scaled the boundary fence and made good their escape,” said Gda Sgt Tighe who added the teen remained at large for 45 days.

The court heard that on the evening of July 28 there was a “stand-off” between six youths and staff. Gda Sgt Tighe said the tension escalated and a number of youths took possession of tennis rackets.

The boy got on shoulders of other youths and made several attempts to get on the roof of a building.

“On one occasion he got hold of a CCTV camera and was swinging out of that. He fell, got up, persisted and on the fourth attempt he got on the roof,” said  Gda Sgt Tighe.

The teenager found a ladder and lowered it down to the yard and he along with three others “made good their escape”. He was at large for 15 days.

The teenager, who was accompanied to court by his mother, is serving a two and a half year sentence for robbery and burglary.

Prefacing a mitigation point as, “it may be cheeky”, defence solicitor Aenghus McCarthy asked the judge to take into account that his client “drew attention to something that needed to be addressed, improvements were made”.

A probation report was sought by the judge.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News