Teen accused of causing €25,000 worth of damage to Mercedes
Published 13/11/2012 | 15:38
A 15-YEAR-OLD boy has been accused of causing at least €25,000 worth of damages in connection with the theft of a Mercedes car in north Co Dublin earlier this year.
The boy appeared at the Dublin Children's Court today where he has been charged with stealing a '11-registered Mercedes Benz at Moylaragh Crescent in Balbriggan, on April 23 last. He is accused of criminal damage to '02-registered Hyundai Lantra at the same location.
He also faces related charges for offences on the same date.
The boy is accused of criminal damage to the Mercedes and also to '11-registered Opel Meriva, at Westbrook Rise, in Balbriggan and faces charges for driving without insurance or a licence.
A decision has yet to be made as to whether his case will stay in the juvenile court or instead go to the Circuit Court, which has wider sentencing powers.
Garda Donnacha Ryan told Judge Ann Ryan that an exact estimate of the damages as not yet been obtained. However, he added that the figure was expected to be a minimum of €25,000.
Judge Ryan ordered the boy, who is on bail, to appear again next month when a hearing will take place to determine the venue for his trial. She said the court needed to know the full amount of damages allegedly caused during the incident.
The boy was accompanied to his hearing by his mother but has not yet indicated how he will plead to the charges.