Teen (15) charged with the murder of Lorcan O'Reilly remanded on bail
Published 08/04/2016 | 18:43
A 15-YEAR-OLD boy charged with the murder of Lorcan O'Reilly, who died following a fatal Halloween stabbing in Dublin last year, has been remanded on bail pending directions from the DPP.
The boy was ordered by Judge John O'Connor at the Dublin Children's Court to appear again on May 6 next and the teen's father was excused from attending the next hearing.
Lorcan O'Reilly (21), from Robert Emmet Close in south inner city Dublin, was stabbed in the nearby Oliver Bond flat complex in the early hours of November 1 last year.
The incident happened at approximately 2.30am when he had been at Halloween festivities with friends.
He sustained a single stab wound to the heart and was rushed to St James's Hospital but was pronounced dead a short time later.
Detectives arrested the 15-year-old boy on March 31 and detained him at a Dublin Garda Station. The boy, who is from south Dublin, is charged with the murder of Lorcan O'Reilly on November 1st at Oliver Bond flats, contrary to common law.
He was aged 14 at the time of Mr O'Reilly's death. On April 1, he was remanded in custody by the Dublin Children's Court but on Tuesday he was granted High Court bail.
The boy, accompanied by his parents, appeared again at the Children's Court today. Detective Sergeant Adrian Whitelaw asked Judge John O'Connor for a four week adjournment.
Judge O'Connor warned the teenager that he must obey the bail terms or he could be remanded in custody. His bail required an independent surety in the sum of €6,000. The teenager must sign on daily at his local garda station, obey a nightly curfew and he has surrendered his passport which must remain in the possession of gardai.
Judge O'Connor also told the teen he has to have a charged mobile phone with him and be available to answer calls from gardai. “Yes your Honour,” said the teen, dressed in a black top, jeans and an anorak, when the judge read out the terms.
He also said “yes “ when asked if he understood.
At the boy's first hearing last week he was accompanied to court by his mother and his granny but the court had asked for his father to come to the proceedings. The man turned up yesterday/today (fri) with the boy's mother.
Judge O'Connor acceded to a request from defence solicitor John Quinn to excuse the father from attending the next hearing.
The teenage defendant's identity cannot be revealed because he is aged under 18, a minor who has a right to anonymity.
Judge O'Connor was told yesterday/today (fri) that directions from the DPP were required.