Saturday 1 October 2016

TD Sean Conlon charged with assaulting a man in a pub - and released on own bond

Published 02/12/2015 | 11:18

Former Fine Gael TD Sean Conlan at Carrickmacross court house, where he was formerly charged with assaulting a man at a pub last summer.
Picture:Arthur Carron
Former Fine Gael TD Sean Conlan at Carrickmacross court house, where he was formerly charged with assaulting a man at a pub last summer. Picture:Arthur Carron

A FORMER Fine Gael TD has been formally charged with assaulting a man at a pub last summer.

  • Go To

Sean Conlon (40) - now an Independent public representative after his resignation from the party last month - was arrested outside the courthouse by arrangement in Carrickmacross, Co Monaghan this morning prior to the hearing.

The Cavan-Monaghan deputy will face two charges - being in breech of section 11 of the Firearms and Weapons act - of producing a dangerous weapon during a dispute, and a second charge of assault causing arm under the Non Fatal Offences Against the Person act.

The hearing before Judge Denis McLoughlin at Carrickmacross court heard a man sustained a severe cut to the arm, requiring stitches after being "glassed".

Former Fine Gael TD Sean Conlan at Carrickmacross court house, where he was formerly charged with assaulting a man at a pub last summer. Picture: Arthur Carron
Former Fine Gael TD Sean Conlan at Carrickmacross court house, where he was formerly charged with assaulting a man at a pub last summer. Picture: Arthur Carron

The incident over which he was charged today is alleged to have occurred in the Conlan family pub in Ballybay on 23 August.

Mr Conlon was released on bail on his own bond of €100 and will appear again in court on January 27 next.

Mr Conlon resigned from Fine Gael last month over what he claimed was a disagreement over the party's decision on the controversial North-South Interconnector pylon project.

He claimed felt he can speak more freely as an independent about the North-South 'Interconnector' and other issues affecting his constituents.

He said he legally represented the  Monaghan Anti Pylon Committee before he entered national politics and it is an issue close to him.

He said that he has informed the party of his decision.

Mr Conlan was first elected to the Dail in 2011.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News