Suspect charged with rape of woman in toilet
A MAN has been charged with raping a young woman in a public toilet.
The 35-year-old Polish national appeared before a special sitting of Kanturk District Court in Co Cork at 11.15pm on Thursday evening after being arrested by gardai for a second time earlier in the day.
He was formally charged with raping the woman at the Church Street public toilets in Kanturk on March 9.
The woman claimed she was raped after she finished a job in the nearby park and went to use the facilities at the toilet block in the middle of the day.
Garda Tom O'Neill gave evidence of the man's arrest, caution and charge. Judge Tim Lucey was told that the man replied 'no' to gardai when the charge was formally put to him.
Inspector Tony Sugrue objected to the man being granted bail on a number of grounds.
Solicitor David O'Connor confirmed his client would be applying for bail. But he said the 35 year old did not have access to significant funds.
Judge Lucey said, in light of that, he would adjourn a hearing of the bail issue until a later date, adding that this would allow the defendant and his legal team time to prepare a detailed bail application.
On that basis, Mr O'Connor said his client would consent to being remanded in custody to the next court date.
Judge Lucey remanded the defendant to appear again before Kanturk District Court on Wednesday, April 7.