Summonses served on Jobstown protesters
Published 15/09/2015 | 02:30
Several protesters who have been accused of falsely imprisoning Tánaiste Joan Burton and her assistant have been summonsed to appear before a court on November 2.
Two south Dublin Anti Austerity Alliance councillors, Kieran Mahon and Mick Murphy, last night confirmed they received the summons from two gardaí who delivered the documents to their homes.
They were involved in the protest in Jobstown on November 14 last year.
The Labour Party leader was attending a graduation ceremony in the area with her adviser Karen O'Connell and when they attempted to leave, their car was surrounded by anti-water chargers protesters.
It was reported last week that 27 people - men, women and juveniles - will face charges over the incident and that 13 would be charged with the false imprisonment of the two women, including sitting Socialist TD Paul Murphy.
Deputy Murphy did not receive his summons last night, but he told the Irish Independent he expects to receive it this morning. It is understood that he will also face charges of two counts of false imprisonment.
Mr Murphy said he understands that as many as 16 people were servedwith summonses by gardaí last night, adding that there may have been more.
Councillors Kieran Mahon and Mick Murphy said they are facing two charges of false imprisonment involving Ms Burton and Ms O'Connell. And they confirmed that they are due to appear in the Criminal Courts of Justice on November 2.
"We will fight it legally and politically and certainly won't let it put us off doing what we do," Cllr Murphy said.
Cllr Mahon said his summons was delivered to his home by two members of the gardaí shortly before 11pm and said the group was "kind of prepared for this".
"We know other people in the area had been receiving them so we knew that it was coming," he added.
Mr Murphy said they now plan to launch a group called 'Jobstown Not Guilty', which will be "a broad campaign for everybody who is being charged to fight a political campaign against the charges".
He also said they will announce details later this morning of plans for a "major protest on Saturday".