State given extra time to prepare case against teen that brandished sword at Leinster House
The State has been given another two months to prepare its case against an unemployed teenager charged with carrying a sword in the front yard of Leinster House.
Jordan Buckley (19) was remanded on continuing bail at Dublin District Court today.
It was his third appearance on a weapons charge following the incident last April. The court was previously told he had 'no particular target in mind' and was allegedly 'caught red handed.'
Mr Buckley, with an address at Kells Road, Crumlin is accused of possession of a sword at Leinster House on April 29.
The charge is under Section 9 (1) of the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act and he has not yet indicated how he intends to plead.
State Solicitor Majella Raftery said the DPP’s directions were not yet available and sought an adjournment. The court heard the defendant’s solicitor was consenting to this.
Judge Michael Walsh remanded Mr Buckley on continuing bail, to appear in court again on September 10.
The defendant, wearing a dark grey hooded top, white t-shirt and blue jeans did not address the court during the brief hearing.
As part of his bail conditions set in April, Judge Walsh ordered him to stay away from all Government buildings and departments - except the Department of Social Protection.
Previously, Garda Dwayne Conlon said he arrested the defendant at Leinster House on the day and brought to Pearse Street Garda Station.
He made no reply to the charge after caution.
During the initial bail hearing, Garda Conlon said the charge carried a maximum five years' imprisonment on conviction, on indictment. He alleged that the accused was 'caught red-handed.'
He said Mr Buckley was inside the entrance gates in the yard at Kildare Street when he was arrested. There was CCTV evidence and several eyewitnesses, the garda said.
Questioned by Defence Solicitor Paul Hannon, Garda Conlon had agreed that the accused had been co-operative after his arrest.
'It would be fair to say there wasn't any partcular target he had in mind?' Mr Hannon asked, to which the garda replied: 'not one person.'
Judge Walsh had set bail in Mr Buckley's own bond of €750, with a €250 cash lodgement required.