State gets more time in Leinster House ‘sword man’ case
Published 07/05/2014 | 12:24
THE STATE has been given another eight weeks to prepare its case against an unemployed teenager charged with carrying a sword in the front yard of Leinster House.
Jordan Buckley (19) was remanded on continuing bail at Dublin District Court today.
It was his second appearance on a weapons charge following the incident last week. The court was previously told he had 'no particular target in mind' and was allegedly 'caught red handed.'
Mr Buckley, with an address at Kells Road, Crumlin is accused of possession of a sword at Leinster House on April 29.
The charge is under Section 9 (1) of the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act and he has not yet indicated how he intends to plead.
Garda Dwayne Conlon told Judge Michael Walsh he was seeking an eight-week adjournment to obtain the directions of the DPP in the case. Defence Solicitor Paul Hannon consented to this and Judge Walsh remanded Mr Buckley on continuing bail, to appear in court again on July 2.
The defendant, wearing blue jeans, a green T-shirt, denim jacket, dark grey hooded top and blue and white runners did not address the court during the brief hearing.
As part of his bail conditions set last week, Judge Walsh ordered him to stay away from all Government buildings and departments - except the Department of Social Protection.
Previously, Garda Conlon said he arrested the defendant at Leinster House and brought to Pearse Street Garda Station, where he was detained under the provisions of Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act.
He made no reply after caution and was handed a copy of the charge sheet.
During last week's bail hearing, Garda Conlon said the charge carried a maximum five years' imprisonment on conviction, on indictment. He alleged that the accused was 'caught red-handed.'
He said Mr Buckley was inside the entrance gates in the yard at Kildare Street when he was arrested. There was CCTV evidence and several eyewitnesses, the garda said.
Questioned by Mr Hannon, Garda Conlon had agreed that the accused had been co-operative after his arrest.
'It would be fair to say there wasn't any partcular target he had in mind?' Mr Hannon asked, to which the garda replied: 'not one person.'
Judge Walsh had set bail in Mr Buckley's own bond of €750, with a €250 cash lodgement required.
Conditions are that he signs on three times per week at Sundrive Road Garda Station and stays away from all Goverment buildings and departments 'save for social welfare.'