Thursday 8 December 2016

State drops charges against man accused of possessing explosives

Brian Kavanagh

Published 12/12/2012 | 12:10

THE State has dropped a prosecution against a Clare man who was charged with the possession of explosives.

  • Go To

Desmond Brennan (65), of Clonroad, Ennis, Co Clare was one of nine men arrested by gardai in September last year after an investigation in to the activities of dissident republicans in counties Wexford, Waterford and Clare.



He was charged with having explosive substances, namely Mercury, Nitric Acid and Ethanol, at his home on September 22nd, 2011.



Ms Tara Burns BL, for the State, this morning told the non-jury Special Criminal Court that the prosecution wished to enter a “Nolle Prosequi”, in other words not proceed with the charge against Mr Brennan.



Neither Mr Brennan, who is on bail, nor his solicitors were in court for this morning’s brief hearing. Ms Burns told the court that the State would write to Mr Brennan’s solicitors to inform him of the court order.



Presiding judge Mr Justice Paul Butler said the court would allow the State to enter the Nolle Prosequi and would vacate dates in March 2013 which had been fixed for Mr Brennan’s trial.

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News