Stand-off between evicted couple and security personnel at house
Published 27/08/2014 | 10:39
The elderly couple evicted from their home in Dublin this morning are being refused access to their home by security personnel inside the house.
The married couple, Martin and Violet Coyne had received permission to remove their possessions from the home in Carpenterstown, west Dublin where they have lived for 15 years as tenants.
However receivers have taken ownership of the house and the couple were removed this morning.
They returned to the house around 7pm this evening but have so far not been granted access to the house by the security personnel inside the house, working on behalf of the receiver.
A large crowd carrying banners and placards in support of the couple has now gathered outside the house.
Pensioners Martin and Violet Coyne left court in tears today after their contempt of court proceedings were adjourned until October.
Earlier, bailiffs acting on an eviction order evicted the pensioners from their rented home in Carpenterstown, Dublin early this morning as they were preparing to appear in court.
Five bailiffs from the Sheriff's Office ordered them to vacate around 7:30 this morning.
Violet Coyne, (61), said the couple were not allowed to finish getting dressed and she had no choice but to appear in court wearing a dressing gown, a nightdress, tracksuit bottoms and slippers while her 71-year-old husband had to leave the house without any shoes.
After waiting since 10am for the case to commence, Mr Coyne, (71) and Mrs Coyne (61) were told late this afternoon by Circuit Civil Court Judge Raymond Fullam to appear again on October 7 to deal with the case.
Barrister Suzanne Boylan, appearing for the couple, told the court that there was a "significant development" in the case after the Sheriff's office executed the eviction order this morning.
She claimed the Sheriff had no legal basis to execute the order under the Land and Conveyancing Law Reform Act 2009 which prohibits seizure of a domestic tenancy.
"They rough-handled Mr and Mrs Coyne and left them without their possessions or clothes," she told the court.
Solicitor Stephen Byrne, acting for the property's receiver, said he had no issue with the adjournment.
Outside court, Ms Boylan said "I don't know what will happen next."
Mr Coyne, meanwhile, said the couple would spent tonight "in a van" that will go to their home to retrieve their belongings from the house where they have lived for the past 15 years.
But he said the couple "might as well have been jailed."
"I know what they are doing is legally right but we were looking for a little bit of humanity which apparently doesn't exist anymore," Mr Coyne said.
Judge Jacqueline Linnane last month adjourned the contempt proceedings until today after she found they had defied a court order to leave the premises last month.
But the couple said they have no where else to go and have tried unsuccessfully to get social housing or private rental accommodation.
The house was taken over by receiver Shane McCarthy after the couple's former landlord Daragh Ward was unable to make payments to mortgage provider ACC Bank.