Monday 27 March 2017

Son pleads not guilty after mum's knife death

Paul Henry arriving at Galway District Court yesterday
Paul Henry arriving at Galway District Court yesterday
Ann Henry: died after being stabbed at the weekend

Brian McDonald

A son of the 49-year-old woman who died after being stabbed at her rented home at the weekend has denied harming her.

Paul Henry (25), of Ardsallagh, Athlone Road, Roscommon, appeared at Galway District Court yesterday morning.

Accompanied by three plain-clothes gardai, he sat at the side of the courtroom before his case was called. He had earlier had a brief consultation with his solicitor, Brid Millar.

He is charged with assault causing harm to Ann Henry at the Spinney in Roscommon town on Saturday.

Garda Ian Delaney gave evidence of arrest, charge and caution at Roscommon garda station on Sunday night.

In reply to the charge, the accused said: "I'm pleading not guilty, anyway", the court was told.

A garda application to have Mr Henry remanded in custody was unopposed. He will appear again at Harristown District Court on Friday.

Ms Millar told Judge Mary Fahy she was deferring making an application for bail.

The court heard Mr Henry was unemployed, and an application for legal aid was not opposed by the gardai.

The exact cause of Ms Henry's death has not been revealed by gardai "for operational reasons".

Yesterday, her family were in the process of making her funeral arrangements.

She is also survived by her husband Phelim and one other son, Phelim Jr.

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News