Six-month sentence for boy (16) who mugged a tourist
Published 12/08/2015 | 02:30
A Dublin youth has been given a six-month custodial sentence for a mugging of a Scottish tourist in Temple Bar which was described by a judge as "a terrible experience".
The boy and his co-accused, both aged 16, had originally pleaded not guilty at the Dublin Children's Court to a charge of robbery from the man who was surrounded and had his wallet containing about €350 stolen at Essex St West on June 15 last year.
This required the victim to travel back to Ireland, in the middle of his holidays, to give evidence for the prosecution. Minutes before the trial was about to begin they changed their pleas to guilty.
Judge John O'Connor was furnished with a probation report and finalised the case of one of the boys, who also had other charges for burglary, public order and drug possession taken into consideration with the sentence. He also directed that the teenager would be on supervised probation for six months after his release.
The second teenager is still awaiting sentencing at the Children's Court. Neither defendant showed any remorse during the hearing.
One of the boys began grinning as the victim, Robert Robson, told the court that he recalled being surrounded and "it was fairly obvious it was not going to end well".
"I'm not going to say it left me mentally scarred but I was pretty shaken up by it," Mr Robson said.
Judge O'Connor said the man had a terrible experience.