News Courts

Monday 22 September 2014

Singer sues creche for alleged electrocution while washing up

Ms Dawson claims she had to cancel gigs as a result

Tim Healy

Published 26/03/2014 | 18:03

  • Share
DAWSON: (Lesley Anne); Personal injuries action for damages, High Court, Dublin, (25/3/14),***see  Hi Ct story.*****suffered electric  shock
Pic. shows: The plaintiff:  Lesley  Anne  Dawson  of Ballon, Co Carlow     leaving court yesterday (Wed.) after    the hearing.
(Pic: CourtPix)
Lesley Anne Dawson

A PART-time country and western singer claims she had to cancel gigs after she was allegedly electrocuted in a creche where she worked, the High Court heard.

  • Share
  • Go To

Mother-of-two, Lesley Anne Dawson, Ballon Hill, Ballon, Co Carlow, claims the incident occurred when she put her hands into a sink of water to do the washing up at the creche.  A plugged-in electrical appliance had been left in the sink, she claims.

She says she felt a bang in her head and was thrown four or five feet backwards and hit a press at Dolmen Nursery and Montessori School, Hacketstown Road,  Carlow.

"I was shaking and vomiting. My heart was pounding. I did not know what was wrong with me", she said.

"I did not know if I was going to live or die".

She is suing the creche over the incident and claims she has not been able to do any professional singing since.

She told Ms Justice Mary Irvine she was conscientious and had continued to work on the day but she also rang her mother to say goodbye as she thought she was going to die.

Ms Dawson said she had won a competition two years before the accident to sing in Nashville and also performed on cruise ships as well as having recorded a single.

However, she had to cancel gigs after the accident and has not returned to professional singing.

On her wedding day, three years after the accident, she sang a song for her husband but the "trade off" was that she spent a week of their honeymoon in Mexico in bed on medication.

She is suing Linda Mellon,  proprietor of Dolmen Nursery and Montessori School, for alleged negligence as a result of the accident on August 31, 2005.

She claimed a plugged-in electric hand blender was permitted to be in a sink of water and there was a failure to warn of the danger to which she was exposed.

The defendant denies negligence and claims there was contributory negligence on Ms Dawson's behalf for failing to watch what she was doing.

Ms Dawson told the court that night after the accident, her hands were burning and later burn-like lesions appeared on her face which were unsightly.

She later had to have a jaw operation and said her face is now different and she had been left with a wider face as a result.

Ms Dawson told the judge her face is hypersensitive to touch and even a light touch is " like blades on my skin."

When put to her by counsel for the defendant that an expert simulation of what happened that day showed there was barely perceptible pain to the expert, Ms Dawson replied that she knew what happened on the day.

The case continues.

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News