News Courts

Saturday 23 August 2014

Singer in creche electrocution case settles for damages

Published 27/03/2014 | 17:46

  • Share
DAWSON: (Lesley Anne); Personal injuries action for damages, High Court, Dublin, (25/3/14),***see  Hi Ct story.*****suffered electric  shock
Pic. shows: The plaintiff:  Lesley  Anne  Dawson  of Ballon, Co Carlow     leaving court yesterday (Wed.) after    the hearing.
(Pic: CourtPix)
Lesley Anne Dawson

A part-time country and western singer who claimed she had to cancel gigs after she was allegedly electrocuted in a creche where she worked has settled her High Court action for damages.

  • Share
  • Go To

Mother-of-two, Lesley Anne Dawson, Ballon Hill, Ballon, Co Carlow, claimed the incident occurred when she put her hands into a sink of water to do the washing up at the creche.  A plugged-in electrical appliance had been left in the sink, she claims.

She said she felt a bang in her head and was thrown four or five feet backwards and hit a press at Dolmen Nursery and Montessori School, Hacketstown Road,  Carlow.

The case was due to resume yesterday before Ms Justice Mary Irvine who was told the matter had been settled and could be struck out.

Ms Dawson sued the creche over the incident and claimed she has not been able to do any professional singing since.

She told the court she  had continued to work on the day of the incident but she also rang her mother to say goodbye as she thought she was going to die.

Ms Dawson said she had  won a competition two years before the accident to sing in Nashville and also performed on cruise ships as well as having recorded a single.

However, she had to cancel gigs after the accident and has not returned to professional singing.

On her wedding day, three years after the accident, she sang a song for her husband but the "trade off" was that she spent a week of their honeymoon in Mexico in bed on medication.

She sued Linda Mellon,  proprietor of Dolmen Nursery and Montessori School, for alleged negligence as a result of the accident on August 31, 2005.

She  claimed a plugged-in electric hand blender was permitted to be in a sink of water and there was a failure to warn of the danger to which she was exposed.

The defendant denied negligence and claims there was contributory negligence on Ms Dawson's behalf for failing to watch what she was doing.

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News