Settlement talks underway between TD John Perry and Fine Gael over election ticket
Published 22/12/2015 | 13:07
Settlement talks are taking place in the High Court proceedings in which TD John Perry is bidding to get back on the Fine Gael election ticket for the Sligo-Leitrim constituency.
A deal was being thrashed out in inter-party talks at the High Court and is expected to be rubber stamped by the court following resumption of the court at two o’clock.
Perry a former junior minister in the coalition government had sued his own Party after he had been dropped from the Fine Gael ticket at the October 16 selection convention.
Peace talks broke out this morning between Mr Perry’s legal team and lawyers for Fine Gael Trustees following yesterday’s remarks in the witness box by Fine Gael secretary Tom Curran.
Curran told the High Court the option of adding Perry as a third candidate for the general election in Sligo-Leitrim was “still in play.”
In his evidence on the fifth day of Mr Perry’s action seeking that a new selection convention be held, Mr Curran said that with Fine Gael riding high in the polls at 32pc it was “possible for the party to look again at this.”
Perry sought orders against the trustees of Fine Gael over the outcome of the selection convention at which he was not selected. The Fine Gael party opposed Mr Perry’s application.
Perry alleged there had been serious and substantial irregularities at the convention which rendered its decision making unlawful and fundamentally flawed.
Today was to have been the sixth day of the hearing but proceedings did not get under way after the judge, Mr Justice Paul Gilligan, was told talks were taking place.