Thursday 27 July 2017

Serial rapist on streets of Dublin after being bailed a second time

Local residents recently tried unsuccessfully to buy him out of the apartment he owns

Paul Moore pictured leaving his Mountjoy Square home
Paul Moore pictured leaving his Mountjoy Square home
Paul Moore pictured leaving his Mountjoy Square home
Conor Feehan

Conor Feehan

This is serial rapist Paul Moore roaming the streets of the capital after being granted bail again as he awaits sentencing for sexually assaulting a woman.

Moore’s continuing presence in the Mountjoy Square area has caused such concern that local residents recently tried unsuccessfully to buy him out of the apartment he owns.

Despite the fact he was due to be sentenced last week for yet another sex assault, Moore (51) remains on bail and is spending his days walking around the north-inner city.

On Monday, Moore – who has six convictions for separate sex attacks – was granted bail again in Dublin Circuit Court because his case manager was out of the jurisdiction.

He had been originally bailed on February 21.

A source told the Herald that a group of residents in the area were so concerned by Moore’s presence that they approached a third party and offered to buy the apartment he owns in Mountjoy Square.

Paul Moore pictured leaving his Mountjoy Square home
Paul Moore pictured leaving his Mountjoy Square home

Powerless

Moore is believed to have bought the property in the 1990s with compensation he was awarded following a traffic accident.

However, his presence in the city centre is causing fear among locals as a number of his attacks have occurred close to, or in, his apartment.

In 2001, he raped a woman after inviting her back to his flat following a night out.

He was sentenced to six years in 2003 for the rape but this was increased to 10 years by the Court of Criminal Appeal because of the “terrifying amount of violence” he inflicted.

Before he assaulted the woman, Moore forced her to sign a note saying: “I have consented to everything that happened between me and Paul Moore tonight.”

A source told the Herald that residents had repeatedly approached gardai about getting Moore banned from the apartment block but they had been told they were powerless to act.

In an effort to rid themselves of the dangerous offender, they clubbed together to buy him out, but their offer was not accepted after a third party was approached on the matter.

In his latest case, Moore assaulted an au pair in 2014 as she was travelling home from college on the Dart.

Gardai examined CCTV of the incident but Moore was not recognised until two years later.

In the meantime, he sexually assaulted two women in separate incidents in the city centre after stopping them in the street and asking them for a cigarette.

He stopped one woman in Gardiner Street – close to his home – on January 21, 2015, and the second at St Mary’s Place North, about 500 metres from his door, on May 8, 2015.

In 2015, he was jailed for 15 months for these attacks, with Judge Martin Nolan noting that he “has a predisposition to violence towards women, which manifests as rape and sexual assault”.

Moore’s first conviction for raping a woman was in 1995, for which he received seven years. Prior to 1995, he had been convicted twice for two separate incidents of indecent assault.

In the most recent case, Moore pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to sexually assaulting the woman on the southside Dart on August 28, 2014.

The court heard evidence that Moore sat near the au pair and started making small talk. He then moved to the seat beside her and began commenting on her clothes.

Moore had a toy turtle in his hand, which he said he found on the ground. He said he was looking for a child to give it to.

He told her: “You probably think I’m crazy” and began to touch her breasts and then pulled at her trousers. He stopped when another passenger sat near them.

The gardai circulated CCTV of the incident but no one recognised Moore. However, when it did so again in 2016, Moore was recognised and arrested. He accepted it was him on the CCTV but said he could not remember the incident.

Moore’s defence counsel said he lived a very isolated life and had been disowned by his family and had spent a significant portion of his life in prison and there were conflicting opinions on what caused Moore to commit these crimes.

One psychiatric report blamed a head injury he received in 1982, while another blamed an “organic personality disorder”.

Judge Melanie Greally said Moore’s inability to desist from offending, no matter what punishment was imposed, was a matter of real concern to the court. She said any sentence would have to “maximise the ability of the services to supervise Moore”.

Moore is due to be sentenced next Monday.

Herald

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News