Serial rapist didn't inform gardaí where he was living
Published 24/02/2016 | 02:30
A serial sex offender flouted laws obliging him to inform gardaí of his whereabouts.
Dubliner Trevor Lawlor (32), jailed for life this week over a rape in Manchester, was previously prosecuted by gardaí for failing to notify them of his whereabouts, the Irish Independent has learned.
Lawlor was put on the sex offenders register after being jailed in 2004 for six years for rape.
He carried out the attack after forcing his way into the home of his victim, claiming he was being chased by gardaí.
Following his release, he was obliged to keep gardaí informed of his address.
However, officers discovered he had breached these conditions in 2013 when he was arrested for theft and criminal damage.
He received a three-month jail sentence in Cloverhill Prison for a combination of charges, including failing to notify gardaí of his home address contrary to Section 12 of the Sex Offenders Act 2001.
Following his release, he moved to the UK, where he committed another horrific rape. It was unclear last night whether he informed gardaí he had moved or if he registered his whereabouts with Greater Manchester Police.
This information was not disclosed at his trial, and neither police force would comment on whether they had been in communication with each other regarding Lawlor's whereabouts.
A garda spokesman said it was not the force's policy to comment on individual cases.
Speaking generally, he said sex offenders are risk assessed and a management plan put in place to manage any identified risk. An office in the National Bureau of Criminal Investigation maintains files on offenders and a nominated inspector is responsible for ensuring the policy is implemented in every garda division.
The spokesman said that, where appropriate, the management of offenders can involve working with other police forces through Interpol.
Lawlor, who previously had addresses in Huntstown Avenue and Fortlawn Drive in Dublin 15, was jailed for life on Monday after being convicted of attacking two women in their homes in front of their children.
He raped one of his victims in view of her toddler son and was prevented from raping the other only when her boyfriend unexpectedly returned to the house.
The horrific incidents occurred in Newton Heath, Manchester, on July 10 last year. The judge in the case at Manchester Crown Court said he was convinced Lawlor posed "a dangerous and substantial risk to the public, particularly women and children".
Lawlor will spend a minimum of 10 years in jail before his sentence can be reviewed.
The court heard he entered the house of his first victim and woke her while she was in bed lying next to her young son.
He threatened to slit the woman's throat, but was disturbed when his victim's partner returned.
Following a struggle, Lawlor fled in his underwear and knocked on the door of a woman who lived nearby.
The woman let him in after he told her he had been kidnapped and needed to escape his attackers. He then raped and beat her in front of her toddler son.