Friday 28 July 2017

Separated mum 'abducted' her children to Asia to be cared for by relatives as she had no babysitter, court hears

Stock picture
Stock picture

Liz Farsaci

A separated mother “abducted” her two young children to South-East Asia to be looked after by relations because she had no child-minder in Ireland, a court heard today.

In July 2016, a court order ruled that the mother must get written consent from the father, if she wished to take the children outside of Ireland, the Dublin District Family Court heard.

The mother, who works at a busy hospital, said she took the children abroad so her mother could look after them as she herself works.

She said she took the children to her mother’s last month, and then returned to Ireland by herself. She said that after the previous court order, her husband moved back into their home for a time, so she thought the 2016 order was no longer in effect. He then left the family home again abruptly, she said.

During emotional testimony the mother said the father had no interest in the children and did not mind them.

“He’s earning €3,000 a month without paying anything,” she said. “I do everything for the family. I pay everything.”

Telling the court why she took the children to her mother’s she said: “I have no child-minder, I have no other option. I want the kids to be in a safe place.”

The mother continued: “Since he got an Irish passport he’s behaving very badly. Many times he hurt me physically.

“He doesn’t like the kids at all and teaches them bad words – all the filthy words.”

She told the court she would be happy to bring the children back to Ireland if the father promised to look after them.

“I have no problem bringing [them] back if he minds the children,” she said. “I have no problem bringing them back. I’m happy to bring them back. [But] is he going to mind the kids?”

Mary Sankey, solicitor for the father, said this was a very serious matter as the children were “abducted” to the parents’ country of origin.

She said the mother had taken the children to South-East Asia on a prior occasion in 2014, before the court order ruled that she needed written consent of the father. On that occasion, the father travelled to collect the children but he was unwilling to do so this time, Ms Sankey said.

Ms Sankey said the father was worried because the children were living in very poor conditions, he claims.

According to the father, Ms Sankey said, the mother was a “workaholic”. Judge Bernadette Owens ordered the mother to produce the children to the Family Court on a date later this month.

Online Editors

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News