Separate trials for US brothers accused of shooting garda in New Orleans
Published 07/07/2015 | 22:29
TWO brothers who are accused of shooting and then robbing a garda while he was on holidays in the US will face separate trials later this year, a court has heard.
Melvin Galle (41) is due to face trial on October 6 this year while his brother Keith’s (34) trial is scheduled for October 20.
The men are charged with attempted second degree murder and armed robbery after they allegedly shot married father-of-one Brian Hanrahan (30), a garda stationed in Newcastle West in Co Limerick who is originally from Co Tipperary.
The incident occurred in the early hours of January 27 this year in New Orleans where Garda Hanrahan had been visiting with his father.
Police believe he sustained gunshot injuries to his leg and body after he had refused to hand over around $200 that he had just taken out of an ATM in a violent mugging.
At a hearing yesterday, Assistant District Attorney Robert Ferrier, who is prosecuting the Galle brothers, announced the accused would be tried separately.
The decision to have separate trials comes after Melvin Galle implicated his brother Keith in the alleged shooting. The two brothers have offered conflicting evidence.
Mr Hanrahan has told New Orleans police he had been drinking with Melvin Galle and had taken out the money to purchase more alcohol. After the shooting, he said two men rummaged through his pockets as he lay seriously injured.
Melvin Galle’s representative Amanda Fraser told the court that Mr Hanrahan hadn’t recounted the night’s events accurately.
The garda was taken to hospital following the shooting and was operated on. Earlier this year it was reported that he would recover from the incident but was facing a massive medical bill for the care he received in the LSU hospital in New Orleans.