Sean Gallagher court case against RTE may be heard this year
Published 20/01/2014 | 16:58
A HIGH Court action by former presidential candidate Sean Gallagher against RTE over a controversial campaign debate on the "Frontline" programme may be heard later this year.
The court has first to hear applications for legal disclosure of documents in the case, Mr Justice Paul Gilligan was told today.
The applications for discovery are being made on behalf of Mr Gallagher and will take two hours to hear, the judge was told.
Mr Gallagher is seeking all documents relating to the programme which was aired just before the close of the Presidential race.
The discovery matters will be heard on February 11, the court heard.
In his action, Mr Gallagher is seeking a declaration that the programme, aired on October 24, 2011, was allegedly "unfair" and "seriously damaged his electoral prospects."
His is seeking damages for alleged breach of statutory duty and negligence.
Mr Gallagher is also seeking exemplary damages arising out of alleged comments by show host Pat Kenny in relation to messages which were tweeted during the show.
The Broadcasting Authority of Ireland last year upheld a complaint relating to the debate in which Mr Gallagher was forced to respond to a fake tweet incorrectly attributed to the official "Martin McGuinness for President" account.