Thursday 8 December 2016

Schoolboy murder trial adjourned as accused dies

Edel Kennedy

Published 08/11/2011 | 05:00

Toyosi in his
school uniform
Toyosi in his school uniform

THE trial of two men accused of the murder of a schoolboy has been adjourned after one of the accused died.

  • Go To

The trial for the murder of Toyosi Shittabey (15), was due to begin at Dublin's Central Criminal Court yesterday morning -- but just hours before, one of the brothers accused of the killing was brought to hospital.

When the case was called in the morning, Patrick Gageby, defending Paul Barry, told Mr Justice Paul Carney that his client had been taken to hospital and was now dead. Mr Gageby said he only had this by word of mouth. But Brendan Grehan, prosecuting, said he, too, had been told by gardai that Mr Barry was dead.

Mr Justice Carney directed that the indictment against him should be marked that he was dead.

The court was told that his younger brother and co-accused, Michael Barry (24), of Pigeon House, Ringsend, had been in court until being called to St James's Hospital, where his brother died.

A post-mortem will now take place on the body of Mr Barry (39), of Pearse St in Dublin, to determine the cause of death.

Toyosi was killed in west Dublin in April, 2010. The young footballer died as a result of knife wounds following an altercation just a few hundred metres from his home in the Mount Eustace estate in Tyrrelstown.

Paul Barry was arrested after the incident and was originally charged with the manslaughter of Toyosi. This was later upgraded to murder.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News