Schoolboy accused of murder gets bail for Leaving Cert
A 16-YEAR-OLD schoolboy charged with the murder of German student Thomas Heinrich was released on bail just a day before his Leaving Certificate exams begin.
The 22-year-old post-graduate degree student from Munich was stabbed in his stomach and suffered a severed artery during an incident outside his apartment at St Anthony's Road, Rialto in Dublin's south inner city on December 1 last.
His friend Robert Rinker (22), a fellow student from Germany, also suffered life-threatening injuries and was in intensive care for two days.
Last week, the 16-year-old boy, who cannot be named, and Wesley Kelly (19), of St Anthony's Road, Rialto, Dublin, were remanded in custody.
They had been charged at the Dublin Children's Court with the murder of Mr Heinrich at St Anthony's Road, Rialto, on December 1, and assault causing serious harm to Mr Rinker at the same location.
Yesterday, after the High Court agreed to set bail terms for the 16-year-old, he appeared again at the Children's Court.
Judge John O'Connor noted that the teen's father was approved to act as an independent surety in the sum of €3,000 which has been frozen in his credit union account.
The teenager, whose mother also attended the hearing, was told that he must reside at an address given to the court, obey a 9pm to 7am curfew and sign on daily at his local garda station, except on days when he is sitting his exams.
Before he was released, the teenager, who has not yet indicated how he intends to plead, thanked the judge – who wished him good luck in his exams.
The boy, who said "no comment" when the charges were put to him on May 29 last, was ordered to appear again in seven weeks.
His 19-year-old co-defendant is scheduled to appear again at the Children's Court today.
While the pair have been charged at the juvenile court, the murder allegation means they will be sent forward for trial to the Central Criminal Court after they have been served with books of evidence.