Ruling on rapist's privacy is delayed
Published 03/06/2010 | 05:00
THE High Court delayed its judgment yesterday on an application by a serial rapist to prevent some newspapers publishing details about him.
Michael Murray (50), who was released from prison last year after serving 13 years for raping four women over a six day period in 1995, says he cannot live anywhere because as soon as he moves, newspapers reveal his address and print pictures of him.
The 'Evening Herald', the 'Daily Star', the 'Star on Sunday', the 'News of the World' and the 'Sun' argued that the effect of granting the orders sought by Murray would render him unique in terms of what the media could publish about him. He is claiming damages for for mental pain, distress and anguish caused by interference with his rights to privacy and to maintain a permanent dwelling as protected by the Constitution and the European Convention on Human Rights.
Murray said he wanted "to live my life and hopefully integrate back into society".
The hearing began on Tuesday, and yesterday, following legal submissions on behalf of Murray, Ms Justice Mary Irvine said she hoped to give her decision within two weeks.
Irish IndependentFollow @Independent_ie