Wednesday 18 October 2017

RTE journalist 'let down' after charges dropped

Edel O'Connell

AN RTE journalist last night said he felt "extremely let down" by the justice system after a man accused of threatening to stab him outside his home had all charges against him dropped at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.

Miley Connors (40), from Glenshane Lawns in Tallaght, Dublin, had pleaded not guilty to threatening to kill or cause serious injury to reporter Fergal Keane. He also pleaded not guilty to burglary and to producing rocks with the intention of intimidating Mr Keane in Monkstown, Co Dublin.

Yesterday, prosecuting lawyer Vincent Heneghan told Judge Patrick McCartan he had been given instructions from the DPP "not to proceed any further" with the case and he applied to have all the charges dropped.

Judge McCartan allowed the charges to be discontinued.

Speaking last night, Mr Keane described the collapse of the trial as "an absolute farce".

He added that he and his family felt "extremely let down" as a result and were "very upset by what has happened".

Irish Independent

Independent.ie Comments Facility

INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.

We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie


Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News