Friday 26 December 2014

Rostas murder trial: Marioara last seen with man who said he was taking her to McDonald's for food, court hears

Teen's brother told trial she rang him, cried and asked for her 'Daddy'

Andrew Phelan

Published 30/06/2014 | 12:14

Marioara Rostas
Dumitru Rostas and Marioara Snr - parents of murdered teenager Marioara Rostas

MARIOARA Rostas was last seen being driven away by a man who said he was taking her to McDonald's for food and gave her younger brother €10, the Central Criminal Court has heard.

Her brother Dumitru, who was 13 years old at the time, said he last saw his sister as the man drove her from where she had been begging on a Dublin street.

He later gave a description to gardai but told the jury in the trial of Alan Wilson he could no longer remember what the man looked like.

Mr Wilson (35), of New Street Gardens, Dublin 8, has pleaded not guilty to murdering Marioara (18) at a house at Brabazon Street, The Coombe, between January 7 and 8, 2008.

Her body was found in a shallow grave in woods in the Kippure-Sally Gap area on the Dublin/Wicklow border on January 23, 2012.

Led through his evidence by prosecutor Sean Gillane SC and speaking through an interpreter, Dumitru Rostas said he had been “asking for help” from strangers at the junction of Lombard Street and Pearse Street on January 6, 2008.

He saw Marioara speaking to a man in a silver Ford Mondeo stopped at the lights. The man “said he was going to take her to McDonald’s to buy some food.”

He saw his sister get into the car and the man gave him €10. As the car moved off, the money was dropped and he picked it up. He never saw Marioara again.

Asked if he got a look at the man, he said “a little bit” but he could not describe him now.

The jury was told he had told gardai in a statement at the time that the man was older than 25, was skinny with white skin, had neat-cut black hair parted to one side and was wearing a black tracksuit with green stripes. He also told gardai the man had “small black eyes.”

He was asked to view an identification parade, but could not say for sure if the man was in it, his statement read. One of the men in the parade had “similar skin.”

He had also told gardai the man had what he called “mushrooms,” spots on his left cheek. Asked if a photofit picture looked like the man he saw, he told the jury: “I don’t know, I was only 13.”

Earlier, the court heard Marioara phoned her brother in Romania shortly before she was killed and asked for her “Daddy to come and get her.”

She was crying and seemed frightened when she made the brief phone call the day after she disappeared, her brother Alexandru said.

He said his cousin Radu took a call from Marioara on January 7, 2008, the day after she disappeared.

His cousin ran across the road to where he lived and handed him the phone. She told him that she was out of town and asked him to “tell her father to go after her.”

She also told him about being able to see “a little sign” and started to tell him about some letters, but the phone was cut off.

Cross-examined by Michael O’Higgins SC, for the defence, Alexandru Rostas denied that he told Romanian police Marioara said in the phone call she had been “taken from the centre of Dublin city by two men.”

Mr O’Higgins said this was in his statement. In another later statement he had said Marioara told him she had “50 cents to talk on the phone and that the boy dropped her off 200km from Dublin.”

He said it was possible his sister had been talking about a street sign in her reference to “letters.”

Evidence in the trial is due to resume before Mr Justice Patrick McCarthy and the jury on Thursday.

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News