Wednesday 7 December 2016

Redmond bids to keep corruption fight alive

Tim Healy

Published 19/01/2012 | 05:00

FORMER assistant Dublin city and county manager George Redmond has argued that a six-year delay in pursuing a High Court action he brought to overturn a corruption finding against him was justified.

  • Go To

He said this was because of the concealment by the Planning Tribunal of documents that would have enabled him to test the credibility of its main witness, James Gogarty.

The Flood (now Mahon) Tribunal found in its 2004 third interim report that Mr Redmond (88) had received a corrupt payment in relation to planning matters and had also obstructed its work.

In 2005, Mr Redmond brought a High Court action seeking to quash those findings. He claimed his constitutional rights had been breached, sought damages, and also challenged a costs order made against him.

This week, the tribunal sought to have that action dismissed because of a delay of six years in prosecuting the case.

Yesterday, following submissions from both sides, Mr Justice Paul Gilligan reserved judgment.

Patricia Dillon, for the tribunal, argued that the case should be dismissed because of a gross delay in progressing the action.

Hugh Hartnett, for Mr Redmond, said the balance of justice required that his client's case should be allowed to continue.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News