Tuesday 27 September 2016

Rapist said only female gardai can search him

Andrew Phelan

Published 13/05/2015 | 11:52

Trevor Byrne
Trevor Byrne

A CONVICTED rapist arrested for public order offences said "only female gardai could search him," a has court heard.

  • Go To

Trevor Byrne (37) also told officers he had "the virus" and threatened to spit at them as he became violent in a Dublin garda station.

At the time of the incident, Byrne had been released from jail under a suspended two-year portion of an eight-year sentence, which he was given for attempting to rob a woman.

He has since been returned to prison after he told a court he was unable to abide by the conditions of his release.

At Dublin District Court, Judge Michael Walsh jailed him for six months after he admitted the incident in the garda station, as well as a series of other public order offences.

Byrne, formerly of O'Devaney Gardens in the north inner city, pleaded guilty to charges including causing a breach of the peace, violent behaviour in a garda station and criminal damage to a cell floor.

Sgt Peter Seery told the court gardai saw the accused acting suspiciously at the entrance to O'Shea's pub, Temple Bar at 11.25am on April 2 last.

Byrne shouted threats and insults and began to hit the wall with his head. He tried to spit at the officers and was taken to Kevin Street Garda Station, where he said "only female members" could search him.

He tried to punch gardai and had to be restrained.

"He was under the influence of an intoxicant of some sort," Sgt Seery said. "He said he had the virus and was going to spit at gardai."

He spat several times in the cell, which required cleaning.

On April 3, complaints were made that Byrne was aggressively begging at the Swan Centre in Rathmines.

He again appeared to be under the influence of an intoxicant, was unsteady on his feet and "falling asleep".

Byrne was sentenced to eight years with two suspended in 2011 for attempting to rob a 24-year-old woman in 2009, 14 hours after being released from prison where he had served a 15-year sentence for raping a woman.

He was released in March 2014.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News