Thursday 8 December 2016

Pupil hit boy with hammer over €50

Isabel Hayes

Published 27/05/2016 | 02:30

The 17-year-old boy from Foxrock, who cannot be named for legal reasons, pleaded guilty to assault causing harm to his victim at Blackrock, Co Dublin, on January 25 last year. Stock photo: Getty
The 17-year-old boy from Foxrock, who cannot be named for legal reasons, pleaded guilty to assault causing harm to his victim at Blackrock, Co Dublin, on January 25 last year. Stock photo: Getty

A south Dublin schoolboy who fractured another teen's skull with a hammer over €50 worth of cannabis has been placed in custody while a judge considers his sentence.

  • Go To

The 17-year-old boy from Foxrock, who cannot be named for legal reasons, pleaded guilty to assault causing harm to his victim at Blackrock, Co Dublin, on January 25 last year.

Dublin Circuit Criminal Court heard yesterday that the boy, then 16, armed himself with his father's hammer and struck his victim, a fourth-year secondary school student, on the forehead, causing a fractured skull and internal bleeding. The pair had never met before.

Prosecuting counsel Paul Carroll, BL, said the incident occurred after two groups of teenage boys arranged to meet at Blackrock in relation to a dispute over a €50 cannabis deal.

The court heard the accused's friend had reneged on a deal to supply cannabis to the victim's friends ahead of a party.

After a series of calls and texts between both groups of boys, it was arranged they would meet up in Blackrock.

The boy told gardaí he initially brought the hammer to the meeting "for protection", the court heard.

When asked by gardaí why he struck the victim with a hammer, the accused said: "I was stupid enough to think it was a good idea to hit him with it."

The victim was rushed to hospital with a fractured skull and bleeding to the brain.

The accused was arrested at his home by gardaí after several boys identified him from the scene.

Defence barrister Sandra Frayne, BL, said her client was extremely sorry and asked the judge not to impose a custodial sentence.

The judge remanded the boy in custody until Monday.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News