Priory Hall victims told to move out of hotel as poker players get their rooms
THEY'VE already been forced from their homes. Now residents of the Priory Hall complex have had to move for a second time in one week -- this time out of their temporary Regency Hotel accommodation.
The Regency cleared 80 rooms yesterday for an international poker tournament that it is due to host over the weekend.
Around 50 families from Priory Hall, over 100 people, have now taken up temporary residence at Bewley's Hotel, off the N32, in Dublin.
They are due to return to the Regency on Monday.
Ruairi Boyle, head of gaming at tournament sponsor Boylesports, told the Irish Independent that over 1,400 players and staff needed accommodation.
But, he said, many of the staff had been placed in alternative accommodation to facilitate the Priory Hall residents. "We're doing the best we can so that the families can stay," he said.
The reaction from residents to being moved was mixed yesterday. Many chose to relocate to Bewley's voluntarily.
They said that they did so because it was closer to schools and other amenities. But one resident, who did not wish to be named, said he was angry with having to move again.
"I got a knock on the door at around 2pm and I was told we had to go. We've already had to move from our homes and now this. I have three children," he said.
Jacinta Sheeran was also asked to move from the Regency yesterday. But she said that she "couldn't say a bad word" about her treatment at the Regency so far.
"They're very good, they've opened up their arms to us. They're doing our washing, they're feeding us our dinner, they're going to try and put something on for the kids for Halloween," she said.
John Glynn of the Regency thanked Boylesports and said that the company had been very helpful given the circumstances.
He said that more rooms were taken up by Priory Hall residents than had originally been planned.
A statement from Dublin City Council said that 53 families remain in the Regency, 10 have made their own alternative arrangements, and the remainder had not contacted the council.
Meanwhile, Environment Minister Phil Hogan has announced a number of measures to clean up bad practice in the building industry.
Speaking yesterday at the annual conference of the Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland, he said mandatory certification of building work is being prepared.