News Courts

Wednesday 18 October 2017

Over 20 to be charged over Joan Burton water protest incident

Tanaiste Joan Burton
Tanaiste Joan Burton
Independent.ie Newsdesk

Independent.ie Newsdesk

Over 20 people are expected to be charged in relation to a protest which saw Tanaiste Joan Burton and an assistant trapped in a car for over two hours.

The incident happened at a protest in Tallaght in November of last year.

It is understood the DPP will direct over 20 people be charged with a variety of offences including false imprisonment, violent disorder, criminal damage and offences under public order legislation.

Some are to be charged with more than one offence.

40 people were arrested in relation to the incident.

Those charged will face trial at the Circuit Court in front of a jury.

Socialist TD Paul Murphy, who was questioned at Terenure Garda Station in relation to the incident, told Independent.ie tonight:

"This is serious stuff. It is a serious attack on civil liberties and the right to protest."

Mr Murphy said he has yet to be formally contacted about any such charges.

On the prospect of being charged with false imprisonment, he said:

"I don't believe I or others committed false imprisonment, I reject that in it's entirety."

Online Editors

Independent.ie Comments Facility

INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.

We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie


Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News