Olympic hero John Joe Nevin faces trial over brawl outside pub
Published 10/07/2015 | 07:53
Olympic silver medallist John Joe Nevin is facing trial by judge and jury after he was charged with violent disorder.
Nevin (26) appeared before Mullingar District Court yesterday to answer two lesser charges arising from a fracas outside a public house in the town in April.
Four other members of his extended family were also in court on similar charges arising from the same incident.
John Joe Nevin, of St Anthony's Cottages, Mullingar, Co Westmeath, had initially been charged with the public order offences of being drunk in a public place and with threatening and abusive behaviour at Dominic Street, Mullingar, on April 6.
It had previously been flagged to the court that further charges in respect of the incident outside the Stillery Bar in Dominic Street may arise.
The court heard that the incident involved up to 25 people fighting outside the pub in a late-night brawl.
John Joe Nevin has since been on bail in respect of the charges and one of the bail conditions is a ban on entering any licensed premises, including supermarket off-licences, in Co Westmeath until the case is heard.
He also has to observe a curfew from 11pm to 8am, but alterations have been made to the curfew by Judge Hughes, including the temporary lifting of it to allow John Joe Nevin train abroad.
Inspector Jarlath Folan told Judge Seamus Hughes that there was an additional charge against John Joe Nevin.
This new charge would replace the two existing public order charges, which were being withdrawn.
Sergeant Damien Connaughton gave evidence of arresting John Joe Nevin yesterday morning and charging him with committing violent disorder on the occasion of the fracas. He had made no reply to the charge.
Sgt Connaughton gave evidence of separately arresting Joseph Nevin (20), of Grange Meadows, and Christopher Nevin (22), of Grange Park, both in Mullingar, yesterday morning and charging them both with the same offence.
There was no reply from either of the accused to the charge.
Inspector Folan said that the DPP had directed that the cases be tried on indictment. They are due to be heard in due course before Mullingar Circuit Court.
All three were remanded on continuing bail conditions to appear again at Mullingar District Court in October for preparation of the book of evidence.
A fourth accused, David Nevin (24), of The Moorings, Ballymahon Road, Mullingar, is also before the court on charges arising from the incident, but was unable to attend due to illness. His case was adjourned to next week.