'No one should lose their home like this' - politician on losing family home to his 'estranged' father
Dublin City Councillor Paul Hand and his two brothers will obey a judge's orders and leave their old family home following a lengthy legal battle with their estranged father.
Speaking to independent.ie, the non-party politician said he would make it a “priority in the future” to campaign on the issue of property in family disputes after a judge ordered him and his two brothers to leave their home so it could be sold.
The judge made his order following a civil case taken by their father Denis Hand Snr, who split from Cllr Hand's mother when he was nine-years-old. Once the home is sold, the proceeds of the sale will be divided between Mr Hand Snr and his three sons.
Cllr Hand the court case and ruling regarding their old family home can "rooted" to the fact his mother and father never divorced.
His mother passed away six years ago and his father recently remarried.
“I was raised in a single parent home. My mother looked after us all when my father left when I was nine. My parents never divorced so that is the root of the court’s ruling,” he told Independent.ie
“It’s been like the Sword of Damocles over our heads ever since my mother passed away six years ago.”
“When she died, we received word that my estranged father wanted to sell the family home and take the share he was entitled to. Now after six years of fighting it, we’ve just four weeks to find somewhere else to live.
“This is an issue I will campaign on in the future because no one should lose their family home like this.”
Read More: Politician and two brothers ordered by judge to vacate home so it can be sold
Denis Hand Snr, a catering supervisor with an address in Dublin, told a Circuit Civil Court that his three sons had agreed to vacate the former family home at Millrose Estate in Bluebell.
In an affidavit to the court, Mr Hand (Snr) said he had been maintaining the mortgage repayments on the house following an agreement with his children during mediation prior to the court case.
Having recently remarried, he told the court he and his wife had been forced to live in a bed-sit because he could not afford different accommodation due to the repayments he was making each month.
Cllr Hand admitted he and his brothers had decided to stay at the property despite agreeing to leave last June because they had had trouble finding somewhere new to live.
“We did agree to leave the house last year but we passed the date because of how difficult we found it to find affordable property in Dublin.”
“This time though, we wouldn’t be going against the court order - we’ll be out of that house in the next four weeks,” he added.
The siblings have until May 25 to vacate the house.
During the civil case, the court heard an estate agent had been employed with the intention of putting the property on the market.
The father told Judge Jacqueline Linnane that there was no excuse for his sons’ continued occupation of the premises as they had agreed to vacate the house.