No bail in sex case
Published 08/12/2012 | 05:00
A YOUNG man who allegedly had repeated sex with a 13-year-old girl over a two-month period has been refused bail. Judge John Coughlan heard it would be alleged that the Bangladeshi man (26) filmed the girl while they were having sex and threatened to put the videos on the internet.
The man, who has an address in south Dublin, is charged with one count of engaging in sexual intercourse with a child under the age of 15 on a road in south Dublin on dates between September 19 and November 9. Judge Coughlan refused bail at Tallaght District Court, and remanded the man in custody to Cloverhill District Court next Friday.
Teen dodged taxi fare
A YOUTH got fast-tracked on to a training course after he was found guilty of dodging a €200 taxi fare. The teenager told the court: "I was trying to get into the course for ages, and then the Probation Service got me straight in."
The 17-year-old boy had been found guilty at the Children's Court of making off without paying the fare. His case had been adjourned until yesterday. Judge Michael Walsh heard the boy had co-operated with the Probation Service but still maintained he was innocent. The judge said some compensation should be paid. The youth handed over €100, and he was spared him a criminal record.
Clarification: Catriona Curran
An article published on December 5 about an anti-abortion vigil held outside the Dail on December 4, 2012, headlined 'Thousands join Dail vigil to demand that abortion never be introduced here' stated that one of those present, Catriona Curran, would not condone abortion in any circumstances, even if the mother's life was at risk. In fact, Mrs Curran never suggested that a mother's life should be placed at risk and she does not hold such a view.
We are happy to clarify this matter and apologise to Mrs Curran for any suggestion to the contrary.