Friday 19 December 2014

Nicola Furlong’s murderer ‘to be released in three years’

Published 27/08/2014 | 12:19

Richard Hinds was found guilty of the murder of Nicola Furlong

THE murderer of Wexford student Nicola Furlong is set to be released in three years, thanks to good behaviour in prison.

Richard Hinds strangled the 21-year-old, from Curracloe, after dragging her unconscious back to his hotel room in Tokyo in 2012.

Hinds could now be set to be released as early as 2017, according to The Star.

He was found guilty of her murder in March 2013.

The court sentenced him to a minimum of five years in prison, and a maximum of 10.

If he is eligible for early release owing to his good behaviour, he could will be released in 2017 - as he was originally imprisoned in 2012.

The paper reports that Hinds is taking part in prison activates in order to improve his chances of early release.

The family spoke out on the sentence handed out after the trial last year.

Andrea Furlong, the 19-year-old sister of the victim criticised the sentence as too short. “I am so angry and I am so hurt, we had so much faith in the Japanese doing justice for us and I don’t feel we got it, I am disgusted.”

Her father Andrew Furlong said, “We hope it’s more than five and up to ten. If he is is good in jail he will be out in five, it is only two years more than the other fella,” he said, referring to a 3-year prison sentence given last week to Mr Hinds’ friend James Blackston for assaulting Nicola Furlong’s friend in May and another woman the previous month.

The judge said in his judgement that it was “very understandable that the grieving family wishes graver punishment,” but the fact that Mr Hinds had no previous criminal record and that he was 19 when he murdered Nicola, an age considered legally a minor in Japan, were factors in deciding sentencing.

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News