'My son's severed finger was found in creche door'
Published 23/06/2016 | 07:18
A mother whose son's fingertip was sliced off in a creche has spoken of her relief after surgeons managed to re-attach it.
Rachel Tighe Donoghue (32) said her son Kyle was being brought to hospital by ambulance when it was noticed his fingertip was missing.
"I was desperately trying to phone the creche to find the fingertip," said the mother-of-four.
"The phone was busy. I managed to contact a member of staff on her mobile.
"Although she wasn't working that day, she was able to contact staff so they could find the fingertip.
"It was placed in cling film, put on ice and put in a little cup and brought in a taxi," she said.
The accident happened in December 2014, when Kyle was one-and-a-half. Kyle was being taken to the toilet when another child slammed the toilet door on his hand, severing the top joint of the ring finger on his left hand.
After the creche was contacted, the severed part of the finger was found still attached to the toilet door.
"I was eight months' pregnant at the time of the accident. My husband Gerard drove me to the creche after I got the call. The first thing I was told was that Kyle had an accident and would need stitches and 'Don't panic'," she said.
"He wasn't crying. His finger was bleeding heavily and was wrapped in a babywipe.
"I'm so grateful to the staff member who was able to contact the creche.
"I'm relieved Kyle's fingertip was saved by the brilliant hospital staff," she told The Herald yesterday.
A judge, who last November rejected a €20,000 settlement offer to the now three-year-old boy, approved an offer of €40,000 this week.
Circuit Court President Mr Justice Raymond Groarke said he was happy the new offer would be sufficient to compensate the boy for the traumatic incident he suffered while attending Doras Bui Creche, Bunratty Drive, Coolock, Dublin.
The court heard that Kyle's finger had no functional deficit, but there had been concern that he may have a residual psychological trauma.
Kyle, through his mother Rachel, sued Doras Bui Creche, A Parents Alone Resource Centre Ltd, for negligence.