Sunday 28 December 2014

Murder accused moved to mental hospital

Ken Foy and Andrew Phelan

Published 16/01/2014 | 02:30

Accused Saverio Bellante
Accused Saverio Bellante
The body of Tom O'Gorman (inset) is removed from the scene in Castleknock. Photo: Gareth Chaney Collins
Tom O'Gorman
Saverio Bellante

THE Italian man who admits killing researcher Tom O'Gorman is being treated at the Central Mental Hospital.

Saverio Bellante (34) was moved from Cloverhill Prison following a medical assessment.

He is due back before court tomorrow on foot of charges that he murdered Mr O'Gorman at his Castleknock home in Dublin last weekend.

Gardai believe that the Iona Institute employee was killed after a row over a game of chess.

Mr Bellante, with an address at Beechpark Avenue, Castleknock, but originally from Palermo, Sicily, was brought into Blanchardstown District Court shortly after 10.30am on Monday.

He is accused of murdering Mr O'Gorman (39) at some time on Saturday night or early Sunday morning at the house where he had been lodging with the deceased in Castleknock.

Det Sgt Patrick Traynor told the court that Mr Bellante was charged shortly after midnight on Monday at Blanchardstown garda station by Sgt Morgan O'Connor.

He had replied "I am guilty" when cautioned, Det Sgt Traynor told the court.

Judge David McHugh ordered that he be given a medical assessment in Cloverhill prison.

It is understood that following consultation with doctors on Tuesday it was decided to move him to the Central Mental Hospital in Dundrum.

A prayer vigil was held for Mr O'Gorman in Dublin on Tuesday night but no funeral arrangements have yet been announced.

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News