Thursday 23 October 2014

Murder accused acquitted of shooting man in his bed

Natasha Reid

Published 15/11/2012 | 05:00

A MAN has been acquitted of murder on the direction of the trial judge who said "serious legal issues" had arisen.

Paul Zambra, of Inagh Road, Ballyfermot, had pleaded not guilty to murdering 36-year-old Sean McMahon five years ago at his home on Donaghmore Avenue, Tallaght.

Mr McMahon was found dead by his partner on November 14, 2007. He had been shot in his bed. The trial opened at the Central Criminal Court on Tuesday of last week before Mr Justice Patrick McCarthy and a jury of seven women and five men.

However, the jury was then sent away while all sides dealt with a legal issue.

The 12 jurors returned to court yesterday afternoon, when prosecuting counsel Denis Vaughan Buckley said he was not offering any further evidence in the case.

The judge then acceded to a defence request to direct the jury to acquit Zambra.

"From time to time, issues of law arise and the jury is asked to withdraw," explained Mr Justice McCarthy.

"In this instance, I dealt with serious legal issues over a number of days."

He said he had considered the matter overnight and had given his judgment to both sides in the morning.

"I direct you now, as a matter of law, to acquit the accused," he said.

Irish Independent

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News