Sunday 22 October 2017

Mum charged in connection with the handover of a loaded gun on train further remanded in custody

Nikita Murtagh is charged with unlawful possession of a gun
Nikita Murtagh is charged with unlawful possession of a gun

Tom Tuite

A WOMAN charged in connection with the handover of a loaded gun on a Dublin to Belfast train has been further remanded in custody.

Mother-of-one Nikita Murtagh (20) from Mariners Port, Sheriff Street, Dublin 1, is charged with unlawful possession of a CZ model 70 semi-automatic pistol, two rounds of 7.65 Browning calibre ammunition and a shotgun cartridge which were allegedly recovered by gardai on the Dublin to Belfast train at Connolly Station on July 19 last.

A court order which had prevented reporters from identifying her was lifted in August following an application by the news media.

Ms Murtagh and Ciaran Ryan, 23, from Summerhill, Dublin 1, were arrested following an intelligence led operation involving officers from the Garda National Drugs and Organised Crime Bureau.

She appeared again at Dublin District Court on Wednesday and was further remanded in custody by Judge David Waters for another two weeks to allow the prosecution to complete a book of evidence.

Earlier it had been held that the case was too serious to be heard at district court level meaning it will go to a higher court with tougher sentencing powers.

She was also refused bail.

The district court was told a man was approached by gardai on the train while Ms Murtagh, who allegedly handed him a bag containing the gun, was stopped outside Terminal 1 at Dublin Airport later that day.

The two are charged with three counts under the Firearms Act, offences which can result in sentences of up to 14 years imprisonment.

Garda Marguerite Reilly had said the woman had strong links outside the jurisdiction in particular in Northern Ireland and she has close associates throughout Europe.

Her solicitor had told the court that the woman denied knowing what was in the bag.

The co-defendant, Mr Ryan,who faces the same charges was also refused bail, and was before Cloverhill District Court on Tuesday when he was further remanded in custody to appear again on November 7 next.

An order banning the media from naming him was lifted last month.

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News