A DUBLIN youth accused of dangerously throwing missiles and violent behaviour at a garda station has been ordered to obey a curfew and to remain sober in an effort to stop him hanging around with troublemakers.
The 17-year-old schoolboy has been charged at the Children's Court with “throwing missiles to endanger inhabitants and passengers” in north Dublin, in the early hours of a date last month. He is also accused of engaging in violent behaviour at a garda station following his arrest.
Judge John O'Connor heard today that the youth, who is on bail, “made no reply” when charged.
Gardaí asked for several bail conditions to be imposed and the judge heard that this was supported by the youth's mother, who also attended the brief hearing.
The boy, who has not yet indicated how he will plead to the charges, was ordered to obey a 10pm to 8am curfew at his home, not associate with another named person, remain sober and to stay out of Dublin city-centre.
Garda Sergeant Seamus Treacy told Judge O'Connor that the boy had been “associating with undesirable company”. He also said that social services have been involved with the boy in the past.
Gda-Sgt Treacy, a juvenile liaison officer at Ballymun Garda station, added that there has been a number of incidents involving the teenager, and the bail conditions could also help to protect him.
“I agree,” said the teen's mother from the back of the court.
Judge O'Connor also ordered the youth to sign on every Saturday at his local garda station.
The teenager was ordered to appear again next month when he must inform the court how he will plead to the charges. Legal aid was granted to the teenager who must abide by the bail terms otherwise he risks being held in custody for the duration of his case.