Mother admits killing children
Published 08/03/2011 | 05:00
The father of three children stabbed to death by their mother described the loss as an "overwhelming tragedy" as his estranged wife admitted the killings yesterday.
Pasquale Riggi said his children would live on in the minds and hearts of his family forever.
Eight-year-old twins Austin and Luke and five-year-old Cecilia were killed at their Edinburgh home in August last year.
Appearing at the High Court in Edinburgh yesterday, Theresa Riggi (47) admitted killing them, entering a plea of culpable homicide on the grounds of diminished responsibility.
Riggi and her husband had been involved in legal action over the children at the time.
Alex Prentice, prosecuting, told the court that on the evening of August 2, Riggi spoke to her husband on the phone.
Mr Prentice said she accused him of being in collusion with their solicitors and asked if he would take the children away.
Mr Prentice said building manager Derek Knight discovered the children's bodies two days later after a gas explosion at their home. The case will be called again on April 26 at the High Court when sentence is expected to be passed.