Saturday 1 October 2016

Molly Martens Corbett granted stay on judge's estate ruling

Jordan Howse

Published 13/04/2016 | 02:30

Molly Martens Corbett
Molly Martens Corbett

Murder accused Molly Martens Corbett (32) has been granted a stay in the decision made by the North Carolina court in relation to the estate of her husband Jason Corbett, who was bludgeoned to death in their home.

  • Go To

Ms Martens Corbett and her father Thomas Martens (65) are charged with second-degree murder and voluntary manslaughter in connection with the death of Jason Corbett in August 2015.

Father-of-two Mr Corbett, from Limerick, was beaten to death with a baseball bat and a paving stone at the couple's home.

Ms Martens had been ordered by Davidson County Clerk of Court, Brian Shipwash, to return items to the couple's home but yesterday Judge Mark Klass granted a stay on this order.

As part of the stay, Klass ordered that $601,060.27 of a life insurance policy, as well as money from the sale of the couple's Honda Accord, be held by the clerk of court's office.

Walter Holton, who represented Ms Martens, said he was pleased with the court's decision. "It's fair and it'll bring some stability to this situation as we pursue an appeal and our motion to disqualify (the original order)," Holton said.

In March, Shipwash, ordered Ms Martens to return a litany of items, including furniture, to the couple's home.

Attorneys filed an appeal to Shipwash's order on the grounds that his findings were "not supported by the evidence".

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News