Medical report delays case of man accused of stabbing garda at Swedish House Mafia gig
Published 12/12/2012 | 14:05
A MEDICAL report has delayed the prosecution of a man accused of attacking an off-duty garda at the Swedish House Mafia concert in the Phoenix Park in Dublin in July.
Sean Hulgrain (22), with an address at Thornfield Square Clondalkin, Dublin, was charged in October with assault causing harm to Wayne Keown, at the outdoor concert on July 7 which was attended by about 45,000 people.
Mr Hulgrain, who is on a disability benefit, made his second appearance at Dublin District Court today.
Judge Bryan Smyth was told that a file has been sent to the DPP but directions have not yet been received. Gardaí are also waiting for a medical report to be provided, the court was told.
Judge Smyth ordered Mr Hulgrain, who is on bail and has not yet indicated how he will plead to the charge, to appear again on January 23.
Several bail conditions were set earlier; Mr Hulgrain was told that he must continue to reside at his current address and notify gardaí of any change, sign on every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at Clondalkin Garda station, and not to have any contact “directly or indirectly” with the complainant or two named witnesses in the case.
The controversial event in the park also featured Tinie Tempah and Calvin Harris on its line-up. More than 30 arrests were made on the night of the concert which was marred by a litany of incidents including public order offences, assaults and drugs seizures. Two men who had been at the concert also died after they fell ill.
On August 2, a Garda report into the events at the concert found that the Phoenix Park is not a suitable venue for “outdoor electric music concerts”. The report also found that gardaí warned the music promoters MCD before the event that they had concerns about alcohol sales, gate opening times and stewarding.
Afterwards, MCD criticised how An Garda Síochána policed the event and the number of officers they had on duty at the concert.
Last month, a 22-year-old man from Clondalkin was returned for trial to the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court accused of violent disorder at the concert and assault causing harm to a tourist from the Isle of Man who suffered multiple stab wounds.