Sunday 22 October 2017

Mechanic charged with killing journalist Eugene Moloney is remanded in custody

Eugene Moloney and girlfriend Chichi Tran
Eugene Moloney and girlfriend Chichi Tran
Eugene Moloney
Eugene Moloney (centre, back) at the wedding of his nephew John to Marie Therese in February. Also in the picture are Eugene's brother Sean (on left), Sean's wife Margaret (far right) and his daughter Rosie (in red).

Tom Tuite

A YOUNG trainee mechanic accused of killing journalist Eugene Moloney who died after an incident in Dublin last month, was further remanded in custody today pending the preparation of a book of evidence.



Mr Moloney, a former reporter with the Irish Independent, lived at Portobello Place on Dublin's south side and was making his way home in the early hours of June 24.



The 55-year-old suffered a blow to the head on Camden Street; he received medical attention at the scene and was then rushed to St James' Hospital where he was pronounced dead.



Gary Burch (21), of Kennington Close Templeogue, south Dublin, had been charged last week with the manslaughter of Mr Moloney at Camden Street, on June 24.



Mr Burch who made no reply to the charge made did not apply for bail at his first court appearance last Tuesday.



He appeared again at Dublin District Court today where Garda Sergeant Sean McAvinchey told Judge Hugh O'Donnell that the State was applying for a further six-week remand in custody.



Defence solicitor Con Pendred, said: "I am concerned about references in the media". In reply Judge O'Donnell said: "I can't control the media, nobody can". "I just want to say it", Mr Pendred answered, to which the judge said: "OK".



No applications for bail was made and Mr Burch, who was wearing a striped grey hooded top, remained silent during the brief proceedings.



Mr Burch, who had been doing a FAS training course in mechanics, was further remanded in custody to appear again later this month.





Mr Moloney who was originally from Donegal, had previously worked with the Irish News in Belfast. He later relocated to Dublin where he worked for Independent newspapers for more than 20 years.



In 1987, he began reporting for the Evening Herald. He later moved to the Irish Independent and worked out of the paper's head office in Dublin, but had also reported extensively from the North at the height of the Troubles.







His removal takes place today from Corrigan and Sons Funeral Home, 5 Lower Camden Street to the Church of Our Lady Queen of Peace, Merrion Road, arriving at 5.30pm.







The funeral mass will be tomorrow at 10am followed by removal and burial at St. Mura's Fahan parish church on Wednesday, July 4th.



Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News