Martens and father plead 'not guilty' to murder
Molly Martens Corbett and her father have entered formal pleas of 'not guilty' to the murder of her Irish husband Jason Corbett.
The pleas were entered at a court in the US yesterday.
Both Ms Martens (32) and her father, former FBI agent Thomas Martens (65), answered "not guilty" when charges of second-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter were put to them.
Limerick-born Mr Corbett (39), a pharmaceutical company employee, died after being struck on the head during an incident at his home in North Carolina on August 2 last year.
He had been living there with his second wife, Ms Martens, who is originally from Tennessee.
The couple got together after she became au pair to Mr Corbett's two children. His first wife died tragically in 2006.
At a brief hearing yesterday, the prosecution and defence teams requested that a further administrative hearing take place on April 4.
Greg Brown, an attorney representing the state, said both the prosecutors and defence had tried to get copies of Mr Martens's personnel file from the FBI but could not obtain copies without a court order, which the judge granted.
Mr Brown said the crime in this case was "especially heinous, atrocious and cruel".
Walter Holton, Ms Martens's lawyer, motioned to subpoena records from the Department of Social Services in Davidson County and Union County.
Social Services assists families to establish self-sufficiency as well as protect children from neglect and abuse.
It is unclear why the records were requested.
Mr Holton also stated that his client and her father were abiding by their bail bond requirement not to contact Jason Corbett's children.
He said his clients wanted to make sure that no witness or potential witness in their cases was being threatened or intimidated by email or social media.
Ms Martens and her father were charged last month.
An autopsy showed Mr Corbett died from blunt force trauma to his head, caused by blows from a baseball bat and a paving stone.
Both Ms Martens and her father have claimed they acted in self-defence.
It is likely to be late this year or early in 2017 before their trial begins.