Monday 24 October 2016

Man with Cerebral Palsy suffered stress after being given medication overdose - courts

Published 06/10/2016 | 15:33

The Four Courts, Dublin
The Four Courts, Dublin

A 23-year-old man with Cerebral Palsy and Tetraplegia, who allegedly suffered stress and anxiety after having inadvertently been given a medication overdose in a training centre, has been awarded €10,000 damages in the Circuit Civil Court.

  • Go To

Barrister John Nolan told the court that Pawel Czyr was at Kildare Genil Training, Maynooth, Co Kildare, in August 2013 when he was given a double dose of Baclopar, a brand name for baclofen, a skeletal muscle relaxant and anti-spastic agent.

Mr Nolan said it had been unclear if the double dosage was given simultaneously or shortly after.  Pawel’s mother, Dorota Siajkowska (correct), who had been informed of the incident, brought him to their GP as she had found her son to be feverish and complaining of abdominal pain.

The court heard Pawel was later taken to Connolly Hospital, Blanchardstown, Dublin.  Mr Nolan said no definitive cause for Pawel’s fever had been found and his symptoms could have been stress related.

Mr Nolan, counsel for Pawel, said Pawel’s abdominal pain persisted for a month and he had disturbed sleep.  Through his mother Dorota, Pawel, of Rochford Rise, Kilcock, Co Kildare, sued St John of Gods, which owns and operates the training centre.

Counsel told Circuit Court President, Mr Justice Raymond Groarke, that given the uncertainty in the case, the defendant had made a €10,000 settlement offer, which he recommended to the court.  Judge Groarke approved it.  Ends

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News