Friday 18 August 2017

Man who survived five bullets faces assault and damage charges

Christopher Maguire at the district court in Dublin. Photo: INM
Christopher Maguire at the district court in Dublin. Photo: INM
Gareth Morgan

Gareth Morgan

A father-of-two who made a miraculous recovery after being shot five times near his home last year has appeared in court accused of assault and criminal damage in a separate incident.

Christopher Maguire (38), of Dun Emer Place in Lusk, Dublin, was charged in relation to an alleged incident at the house he shared with his partner. He was arrested by gardaí investigating a disturbance at the house on Saturday.

Dublin District Court yesterday heard that when he was arrested and charged he made no reply to Garda John Hanley.

Gda Hanley objected to bail on the basis that the allegedly injured party was in fear of the accused, but outlined conditions to Judge John Cheatle which he would request if bail were to be granted. These included staying out of Lusk and not to contact the alleged injured party.

He also asked that Mr Maguire reside at an address that was supplied to the court but not read into the public record.

Mr Maguire's solicitor said he had suffered "significant injuries" in the recent past that require ongoing attention.

Bail was granted and an application for legal aid was accepted when Mr Maguire's solicitor said that he was on disability allowance.

Mr Maguire sat quietly in the court during the short hearing wearing a navy-blue puffy anorak and blue denim jeans.

He was bailed to appear at the court again on May 29.

Mr Maguire then left the court wearing a hat and dark glasses and walking with a crutch. Last July, Mr Maguire was shot multiple times in the head and body as he sat in a car in the Dun Emer Place estate.

He was left in a coma and at one point it was feared he would not survive.

The Garda investigation into the shooting is ongoing.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News